Friday, July 25, 2008

So excited- DONA training coming to town!!!

So, for those of you who don't know, I am in the process of training to become a birth & postpartum doula. I have been working on my requirements (such as reading, lactation training and birthing classes) for quite some time now, but I just wasn't sure how I was going to be able to finish one of the largest parts of my training- the workshops! You see, the closest location for me to attend a workshop is all the way across the state in Seattle. Combining the cost of travel & the workshop fee, along with having a toddler who is difficult to leave for a number of days, plus the fact that I would need to attend both the birth and postpartum workshops which would total out to 4 weekends in Seattle, it just wasn't an option. So, after much frustration and a little ingenuity, I decided to contact DONA (Doulas of North America- my certifying organization) and see if they would bring the workshops to Spokane. Well wouldn't you know it, I had a large handful of trainers ready to make the trip and was able to schedule both workshops right here in little old Spokane! Better yet, they are two weekends in a row, so as of the beginning of November I will be ready to accept clients for both birth and postpartum that can count towards my certification! Wooohooo!

I already have one client due in the beginning of December who is a good friend, pregnant with her second baby and anxious to have a different birth experience than she did the first time around. I have also been accepting clients in the mean time to gain experience, which has been a very learning experience! My very first postpartum client has twins! Oh the things I have to learn!!

By the way, if any of you are interested in attending the workshops they will be as follows:

Postpartum Workshop
October 31- November 2, 2008

Birth Workshop
November 8-9, 2008

Tuition fees vary depending on when you sign up and how many people you sign up with, but start for the most part around $350. Partial Scholarships are available for the Postpartum Workshop and payment plans are available for both. You can contact me directly at chic_kenz@yahoo.com for more information.

Also, if you happen to be pregnant, or know someone who is, and would like the services of a doula, don't hesitate to interview me! I am currently accepting postpartum clients for just the cost of gas to and from their home and will be accepting 3 postpartum and 3 birth clients due after November 9, 2008 completely free of charge!

No comments: