Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Daily Bread

Ok- I'm back!  Five days into the New Year and we are starting to get around again!  It's a good thing because we were clean out of bread!  I have been wanting to try out some other recipes of Marmee's for a while, but in all honesty, haven't had the money to buy a lot of ingredients that I didn't already have.


So this week, in desperation to try something new (and have something valuable to post about) I gave her Daily Bread Recipe a shot, with a few alterations.  Instead of hulled millet in the recipe I used milled flax seed and instead of honey I used demerara sugar.  I also had to use a little more white flour than called for because I ran out of wheat (can you believe it?!  50lbs used already!).


While I am sure I would like the recipe better with the honey (mostly just because I have had a hankerin' for honey lately) I do really like the recipe.  With the flax seed added it just tastes so.....

so....

healthy!


I love filing up my freezer with a batch of bread dough again- it is a comforting feeling, knowing I am providing pure food for my family, simply.

I'm consistently amazed with the variety and number of recipes in Marmee's Bread Basket cookbook!  I could literally make a new recipe every week of the year if I had the money!  And so far I have yet to find one that we haven't enjoyed.  This silly little cookbook, $7.29, is worth every penny- I highly recommend it!  Seriously!

And this wouldn't be a baking post if I didn't mention my love for my BOSCH Universal Plus Mixer!  It has rocked my world and changed my baking life forever!  My husband asked me the other day, "So, now that you've had it for a while, do you still life making the bread?"  I think he was secretly hoping I would say "no" because he doesn't like the size of the slices of bread since the loaves are made in an 8" bread pan.  But I do still enjoy it- especially when I get to try a new recipe.  It makes me feel like such a homemaker!  I love tying on my apron and making something wholesome and delicious.  I love the aroma of fresh bread baking, floating through my small home.

Thanks again Marmee for the wonderful opportunity to use such an amazing machine!  I am hoping to do another baking post this week since I was too sick to do one last week.  And get around to talking about resolutions too!  I hope you missed me!





Be sure to visit my sponsor- Marmee's Bread Market- for recipes and everything else you need to easily make fresh baked goods for your family!