Monday, June 21, 2010

A Hidden Flame- Review

Oh, where do I even begin with this book?  Well, for starters, I finished it in a matter of days and am now sitting at my computer in the middle of the night having just stayed up far later than I intended in order to finish it, and was simply too moved to go to sleep!  I had to come tell you all to go get this book- right now!  Go on!  It was fabulous- trust me!

What was so fabulous?  It was beautifully written, for one.  The language Janette Oke uses and the cadence with which she weaves her words was spell-binding.  Beyond that, the story, which follows believers of the newly formed"sect" called The Way directly following Jesus' death, was so incredibly personal for, I believe, any believer.  The very real and true account which we have come to know in Acts is suddenly given new feet, but ones that follow the scripture ever so closely.

It was compelling and convicting to read of how the believers so fervently supported and encouraged one another in life and in following the Lord's direction.  They constantly turn to prayer for every need and question.  This book, though fiction, rocked my world and really made me look at how I handle my own faith.  The diligence and ongoing sense of following accurate priorities was humbling to read.

The only regret I have about reading this book is not having read the first book in the trilogy, The Centurion's Wife, first, since I am sure it would have been equally as wonderful!

This book was provided by Bethany House Publishers for honest review.  All reviews are my honest opinions!