Thursday, May 13, 2010

Finding Joy

Joy.  It's a tough one for me.  It isn't something that comes naturally- I really have to work at it.  I think I tend to be a "glass half empty" kind of gal.  I wear my heart (and often my mind) on my sleeve.  Not much is hidden.  When people ask "How are you?" I hate saying the standard, American, upbeat, "Fine!" if I really don't feel it.

So, when I came across this post a few days ago on Ann Voskamp's blog A Holy Experience- I was thrilled and moved (or, shall we say, overjoyed?)!  It is her 10 Point Manifesto for Joyful Mothering!  Always one to love a good plan, I really sunk my teeth into this!

And don't you just love that word- Manifesto?  It reminds me of an old Boy Meets World episode when Eric has a dream of what all of their futures will look like after college and he keeps referring to "Me Manifesto!"

Not ringing any bells for ya?

Alright, I digress.

Truly though, I have just begun to uncover all the goodness that this post has to offer.  I haven't even begun to follow her links which will surely give it that much more depth!  The simplicity of it humbles me though.  Prayer.  Beauty.  Gratefulness.  Consistency.  Laughter.  Focusing on the Lord.  I need all of these things!  In abundance!

In one of her points she says "Only amateurs hurry."  Wow- she got me!  That one thing alone has the ability to steal all kinds of joy from my mothering!

I want to be better at joy.  I need to be!  I need to create a "culture of joy" in my home for all of our sakes!  Yes, I do believe that I will be adopting Ann's points to read every morning- I quite like me new Manifesto!