Monday, December 27, 2010

Resolving in 2011

Source
I'll admit that in years past I've had a real aversion to calling my New Year's goals "resolutions".  To me the term "resolutions" just seemed to be a set up for failure. I mean, people in our culture almost see resolutions as a joke anymore.  So, I've always just called those things that I want to accomplish in the new year, "goals".


Profile Graphics
Happy New Year Graphics
(Case in point!)

Recently, however, I got to thinking about the whole thing and started to realize that, cultural stereotypes aside, there is a distinct difference between resolutions and goals, and one of the important parts to me achieving what I've set before myself in 2011 is recognizing that difference and applying it to my plans.

What am I jabbering on about?  Well, I think that goals are specific milestones that you want to achieve, tangible markers that say "Hey, I've really done something here." Where as resolutions are more about what you want to become. You are resolving to be different in some (or many) ways.  You can set goals within your resolve that help show you that change, but a resolution is the overall, bigger picture.


Source
So this year, I'm dividing my list accordingly and I am hoping that some of you will join me (more about that later this week!).  This year my resolve is to become a more scriptural woman.  I am resolving to be a better wife, mother, homemaker, and representative and follower of Jesus.

Now, I realized that this should pretty much be our goal at all times anyway if we fall under any of those descriptions, but this next year I am taking a more active pledge to truly become those things.  My inspiration is being drawn from a few specific passages in scripture:

A wise woman builds her home,
      but a foolish woman tears it down with her own hands.
Proverbs 14:1

1 In the same way, you wives must accept the authority of your husbands. Then, even if some refuse to obey the Good News, your godly lives will speak to them without any words. They will be won over 2 by observing your pure and reverent lives.
 3 Don’t be concerned about the outward beauty of fancy hairstyles, expensive jewelry, or beautiful clothes. 4 You should clothe yourselves instead with the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God. 5 This is how the holy women of old made themselves beautiful. They trusted God and accepted the authority of their husbands. 6 For instance, Sarah obeyed her husband, Abraham, and called him her master. You are her daughters when you do what is right without fear of what your husbands might do.
1 Peter 3:1-6
4 These older women must train the younger women to love their husbands and their children, 5 to live wisely and be pure, to work in their homes, to do good, and to be submissive to their husbands. Then they will not bring shame on the word of God.
Titus 2:4-5
(by the way, I would consider myself the younger woman here!)

Proverbs 31:10-31
(You can go here to read it)

I want to be kind, patient and prayerful for my husband.  I want to be gentle, present and joyful with my kids.  I want to be hard working, diligent and organized in my home.  And most of all, I want to sit at the feet of my Savior every morning, soaking in His words and being loved on by Him.

Of course, for any of you who know me, it will come as no surprise that I have a plan for how I want to get there- to become all that.  And I wouldn't be a good blogger if I didn't plan to share those things with you!  So, tomorrow we will talk about the plan, the pledge, the printables (yes, I said printables!), and the meme (which I really wish started with a "p" to finish out my little theme there, but alas, it does not).

Stay tuned!





Be sure to visit my sponsor- Marmee's Bread Market- for recipes and everything else you need to easily make fresh baked goods for your family!